Thursday, October 7, 2010

Oct 6th: Ran about 4 miles total....I think

The Bitch and I did interval training....yuck! I know I have to do it to create endurance. But since my phone's battery was almost dead and I totally forgot to unpause my BIM software program on my Blackberry, well let's just say I didn't get an accurate assessment of my run.
What is BIM software you might ask? It's an app on my Blackberry called Bones In Motion. It does it's job on tracking mileage and time and your average pace. But I really need to find a better program to help with intervals and PR. However, that would require me to make an actual decision, and the committee (the voices in my head) makes that very difficult. The BIM program is free, so I deal. Now, I also have a Garmin but it's an older model with a not so great battery. At my first race it didn't even locate satellites until the race was over. So I kept having to ask this lady next to me..."uh, how fast are we going?". Needless to say I kicked ass, because I just ran with no regard to my pace. But still, when you are training, it's important.  So, until the "let's make sure we make the right decision" committee members actually find another program, I will just stick with BIM. What do you use as your running training program?
I also use Pandora Radio on my Blackberry for music. I really like the music options, except that every time BIM beeps that I have ran a mile, Pandora stops. So then I have to fiddle with my Blackberry to get it going again. I started using Pandora when "Princess PITA" started running with me. She likes to talk and I don't want be rude and stuff headphones in my ears.  So I reserve the IPod for the gym. That is a necessity. I cannot stand to listen to the squeaking of the stair masters, treadmills, and ellipticals. So headphones are a must in the gym!!
Running attire: Long pants, thin long sleeve, fleece jacket, hat to cover ears, gloves, and trail shoes. Perfect!!
My interval training went something like this: 15 minute jog, 1 mile at a faster pace (based on my breathing and how well I can talk), 2 mins. rest, another 1 mile at faster pace, 15 minute jog/walk. And the only reason I was walking as part of the last 15 mins. is because someone was shooting out where I was jogging so I was on high alert....and OK, my legs hurt a little. Don't worry it's not like gang shootings or domestic disputes, more like rednecks trying to test their rifles.
Tried to focus on my chi-running: bend forward slightly at ankles, elongate spine, keep pelvis level, RELAX SHOULDERS. Can you tell the last one is a problem for me?? Every time I noticed my body tightening up in a spot or two, I tried to concentrate on my form, and relax. It worked pretty well!
So all in all it was a good run. Felt pretty good and the weather was on the colder side, but no wind. I hate running in the wind.
Here's a picture of the Bitch...as you can see she's all about "who's gonna rub my tummy?". Did I mention she's also the neighborhood flirt! She doesn't put out, but she will flaunt her stuff for the neighborhood boy dogs. The ol' man would not approve, but since he can't even walk a block without his hips giving out, he's clueless.
On the note of insomnia: woke up at 3:30am. James Bond was not on TV which was depressing, so I just had to roll over and drown out the "committee" with NCIS. Something about Mark Harmon's voice I think, but I was back to sleep about 4am. Just sayin'...

PS>Check out my running gloves. My yummee got those for me for Xmas. They are great to run in, but since the Blackberry only allows the heat of your finger to depress the buttons, I kept having to take them off to pause and unpause my apps. Hmmm...maybe I could cut the fingertips off??

No comments:

Post a Comment