Friday, November 5, 2010

Lonely ol' me and the heavy breather

Once again tried to get in a long run...didn't work out as planned. Started at 4:30pm and figured "let's see where the trail takes me". Well, it took me up the Hill, very rocky terrain, to a lake, sagebrush, through barb wire, a farm field, then back to the ol' running route. Barely 5 miles of up and down trail running and because I wasn't quite sure where I was, had to stop a few times to get my bearings. By the time I got out onto the main road, dark was quickly approaching....to the point, where I had to call my yummee to come and get me and the Bitch. I wasn't too far from home, but the socks I had been wearing with my trail shoes were making it feel like I was getting a blister on the side of my foot. That's a huge no no...my feet are precious to me...and the biggest fear I have with being a runner is blisters, black toes, and no toenails! GASP!!!!
I love where I live, but with the huge mountains to my west, 2 things happen when the sun goes behind them:
1) It gets cold quick!! Really quick! It goes from me sweating my arse off in compression socks, shorts, and a long sleeve to freezing frickin' cold!!! Like a 10-15 degree temperature drop lickety-split.
2) It gets dark early! I was really hoping to get in 9 miles and thought I had plenty of time. But even at 4:30 the sun was just barely above the mountains. So by 6:00 when the sun goes down on the coast, dark is only 10 to 15 minutes away.
I am not a fast runner at all and it takes a couple of miles for me to warm up, get into a good rhythm, and feel good about picking up the pace. The trail was extremely rocky and uneven and the last thing I want was to sprain an ankle or knee or whatever... It was slower going than I wanted. I have decided trying to do long runs during the week may not happen unless I can do it on a treadmill or I will just have to find a way to fit it in on the weekend. There is a running group that normally starts at 7am Saturday mornings. I cherish my snuggle time with the yummee and I just feel there isn't something quite right about a person getting out of a warm bed to go run that early...but I WILL SACRIFICE! Besides, after reading a couple of other blogs, I think it might be beneficial to run with a group. Especially a group with a faster pace than mine. The group should help me with improving my time and with endurance! I have to say it's lonely some times when it's just me. It's just me training...It's just me at the races...My family is there and all, but it's just me running. My kids are too young to do long runs (according to reports it's not good for their growing bodies) and my yummee absolutely hates running. He hates anything cardio...his motto is MORE WEIGHT...grunt, grunt!! He is very cavemanish in that way. Although as he gets older, he fits cardio into the first 20 minutes of his work outs. He has found, running or the eliptical, is the easiest way to keep "Buddha belly" from appearing. He has promised to do a 5K with me, but not during the cold seasons. Which can be 3 seasons out of the year here. So sometimes when I am at a race and all the group runners are all gung-ho and cheering and hugging each other...I feel left out! It's intimidating and it just oozes sorority! Like you are just not special unless you are in their group! I like my alone time, but 1 day a week can't hurt.
Another thing about living where I do, I feel left out of all the cool stores and races that people get to go to living in urban areas. We don't have a lululemon warehouse full of deals...NOPE, if I want it I have to buy it online at crazy prices. We don't have really good choices of places to eat healthy...NOPE, we literally have less than 10 choices of restaurants in my town, and none of them are on the healthy side. We don't have races seaside at sunset during winter...NOPE, but on the plus side, they just started a winter trail series. Ironically, the motto for the race is "Be Bold, Run in the Cold"!! Don't get me wrong, we have tons of outdoor activities and beautiful lakes and trails and it never gets boring. Snowboarding, waterskiing, camping, hiking, swimming...we definitely have tons to do and a gorgeous place to do them in. But to live here and enjoy those things means you pay higher prices for EVERYTHING and don't have a lot of options for places to shop or eat. So reviews of products, races, places, etc...I cherish them! It can make decisions a lot easier for the committee. Don't get me wrong, they still ho-humm and can be wishy-washy, but if I can back it up with a good/bad review, the decision can be a little easier to justify.

Today I went to pilates, as promised! Although I had 1 more starbucks this week then I said I would, I really didn't have to pay any money since it was on my "personal gold card"....and by gold card, I mean the one "the place with the green straw or now red cup" sent me for being such a valuable customer. It's just a reload card, gold, with my name on it, and it's so worth the bennies to have it. The card still had money on it, so no extra money came out of my bank account. Unfortunately, the "heavy breather" was at class too. I think she goes to the noon class every day. If you have ever done pilates or yoga there is a certain way to breathe. She feels it necessary to breathe very. VERY. loudly. In, out, huff, puff....it's very NOT relaxing. For me, pilates, although a really good work out, is relaxing time for me. It's done on a reformer machine. So I close my eyes and feel my muscles stretching and straining while using resistance. It's awesome...but it's a very quiet place, and the heavy breathing seems to get louder and louder. It reminds me of E. A. Poe's "The Tell Tale Heart"...and it drives me insane. I know, W.E.I.R.D.O! Today wasn't as bad, but I am seriously considering an earlier or later class if work will allow it. I dread every time I walk in and see the "heavy breather"...and that's no fun!!
So tonight I am going to hit the gym for some good ol' plyometrics/strength training something-or-other....and then dinner with the mums and familia before her and her yummee go off to Cabo. Oh...jealousy is rearing it's ugly head!! I so love Cabo....next year, I promise!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... you might like my book. "Chasing the Runner's High: My Sixty Million-Step Program" is the story of how I pushed my addiction to running up to, and then past, my limits. I share what I've learned, what I should have learned, and what I still have to learn from running.

    Marshall Ulrich, 4 time winner of the Badwater Ultramarathon (and clearly a really nice guy) says my book "provides a hard look into the mind of a runner, offering advice that can only be had with experience and hard fought miles underfoot." Adena Schulzberg, winner of the 2006 Arkansas Marathon, writes, "these are brutally honest tales, told with candor and frankness about strength, courage, obsession, desire and hard won understanding of self and sport."

    "Chasing the Runner's High" is only $12.99 for the trade paperback or you can name your own price for the eBook! There's a sample chapter from the book on my site:
    http://www.chasingtherunnershigh.com

    A portion of the proceeds from sales of Chasing the Runner's High will be donated to charity. When you order the book from my site, you get to help direct how that money is distributed.

    You can also help by forwarding this message to your running friends, or your friends who want to understand more about why anyone spends all that time running :-)

    I hope you enjoy the book! If you would like additional information, let me know.

    Thanks for your consideration,
    Ray Charbonneau
    Arlington, MA
    -- My book!
    http://www.chasingtherunnershigh.com/

    ReplyDelete