Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Testing...Testing...Testing...No, I am not speaking into a microphone!

New Products...yippee, that means I went shopping. But guess what, I didn't even have to use my own money. While in NorCal for Thanksgiving, we went to Sports Authority and my yummee bought me some early Xmas presents. I am so spoiled!!! I also got to go out on the trails for about 10 mins. tonight. 10 mins., huh?? It wasn't that the fact that it was 36*. It was because the new light my g-friend gave me wasn't quite bright enough for the pitch black trails. It was muddy and hard to avoid the big puddles, or should I say mini lakes, when I can barely see 2 feet in front of me. I think the light would be great for streets with lights, but that's a big NO WAY on the trails. So yep, I lasted 10 mins. and came back. At least I got to get a brief preview of my new Scarpa trail shoes.

Nike Dri-Fit Running Long Pants $65
These are not capris or tights. They are long pants that fit snug around the butt, legs, thighs, and have a slight flair at the bottom. They have a little insulation on the inside for cold weather as well as a right-above-the-rear pocket for holding keys, ID, gels, etc. And I have to say considering the cold temps outside and the fact  I didn't really get really warmed up due to my short jaunt, I thought they worked really well. I can definitely see how these would be great for cold weather, wicking sweat, but not overheat you! I have a pair of Under Armor Cold Gear tights that I normally run in. But, these pant-like running bottoms make me feel less exposed...in the sense, that when I wear the tights, it's like I am saying "hey, look at my tight arse, so smooth and ROUND". I will be trying out the Nike running pants at my next 10K trail race on 12/11 and will keep you posted on how they perform. So, bring on the blizzard....before or after as long as it isn't during!

Under Armor Heat Gear Full Coverage High Impact C Support Bra $44.99
Tried it on in Sports Authority and thought...wow, this will definitely hold the girls. But once I got home and put it on again, I found that it rode a little high up underneath the arm pits which really concerns me in regards to chaffing. Keep in mind I am a linebacker up top. I have very large German shoulders and don't lack in the ta-ta department. I am not abnormally obese (just mildly so the Fed. Gov. says) and can fit into a size medium to XL shirt depending on the fit. But I have trouble buttoning shirts and always need to make sure there is ample shoulder room. Hey, it makes for great cleavage though! So as I stood in my room and waved my arms front to back as if I was running, I thought "oh no, I just don't think this is going to do". I could probably wear it to do simple gym exercises and strength training, possibly pilates, but running long distance...don't think so. So it's back to my old Under Armor bra that is almost a year old. It's sanitized (yep, I have that setting on my washing machine) and ready for Vegas.

Under Armor Arctic Headband $14.99
Ok, it's funny to say but I really didn't have a good, warm headband for running. I had my Buff, which is really used for taming the wild mess during motorcycle rides, so this was much needed. Big fancy explanation, insert here: Signature Moisture Transport System to wick moisture, keep dry, and body temperature consistent in any condition. Oooohhhh, fancy talk. It has micro fleece fabric, pink, of course. Fits over the ears and lined with the heatgear fabric that does all that cool stuff above. Me likey it cuz if there is one thing a runner doesn't like, at least this runner, is cold ears!

Scarpa Trail Running Shoes (A HUGE THANKS to TrailRunning Magazine) Free
Day 1: Again, only a very brief jog due to lack of light...it was pitch dark!! Upon first putting them on, I noticed the instep area around the tongue/laces seemed a little bulky to me, on the inside of the shoe. Now my feet are probably one of the few non-fat places on my body, so I am not sure how these would fit for someone with a high instep. It didn't seem like they had a lot of room for someone with a wide foot either. But hey, they might come in wide widths. I like my trail shoes 1/2 to a full size bigger than my normal shoes to allow for the ups and downs of the trail so I don't get the dreaded "black toe". These seemed a little snug, but it was my first jog and haven't broke them in yet. However, the tread was really grippy. Just walking on my kitchen tile floor, they made this cool gripping sound...I don't know how to explain it, but I could definitely tell I had good footing on the run, even in the slimy mud. I didn't get a big glob of mud stuck to the bottom of my shoe that weighed me down. As a matter of fact, I hardly had any mud on the bottom of the shoe at all after coming in my front door. The transfer from pavement/dirt/mud/dirt/pavement was seamless. I was able to go up a small hill of rocks and snow to see how they performed and the shoe felt stable and solid. If you are looking for a minimal trail shoe though, this is not it. I did roll my ankle slightly, although that is just because I am a klutz by nature, and not a feature of the shoes. It scared the "dickens" out of me since I have the LV RockNRoll 1/2 Marathon on Sunday and just walked after that in fear that I would take myself out of the game if I kept tempting fate. But it was good to get out on the trail in familiar territory with the Bitch. She enjoyed it as well, since I am pretty sure she hadn't been out since the DST change.

I also bought some Nike Dri-Fit shorts$19.98(reg. $25.00) on sale, that I will be trying out tomorrow on the treadmill. Some Under Armor AllSeason Semi-Fitted low rise capri fit bottoms $24.97(reg. $44.99) for pilates and fall/spring training. I also got a pair of Under Armor Protect the House cutey patooty sweat capri bottoms $24.97 (reg. $44.99)...just cause they are pink and HELLO, did I mention cute!

I will try and post pictures once I can get on the runway for proper modeling. Yeah, no, not!!

So, Bones in Motion on my Blackberry along with Pandora just isn't cutting it. It is just too cumbersome. So I have reverted back to my Garmin 305 and the IPOD shuffle. I sat down last night for about 2 hours going through songs and making a playlist that I think will keep me pumped during the race on Sunday. I contacted Garmin today for a replacement battery option and for $79 they will send me a new refurbished Garmin.  But I won't be able to send it to them and get the new one back before Sunday so I will make sure to charge it the night before and let it find satellites well before the 7am start time. I figure this option is better than paying $200 - $350 for a new one. Plus I would like to spend the extra money on a heart monitor and foot pod.

I haven't yet done a review of the Turkey Trot and my vegan Thanksgiving fixings as I have to get the pics off my phone, but that will be my next post! Let me just say, it was a frickin' fabulous run!! Definitely prepped me for the feel-good 1/2 marathon in my future!

Ta ta for now....
PS>Totally looking forward to going to Fashion Show Mall in Vegas...they have Forever 21 and a Lululemon store....Just sayin'

No comments:

Post a Comment