Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Why oh why...do we torture ourselves! and the Free Shoes

The fear, the doubt, all the voices that tell me over and over again that I am crazy. I hear other runners talk about it, but I am not really considered a runner....at least in my eyes. It's called OBSESSION!! Obsessed with races, pace, PR's, all the things that make up the sport of running. I guess it's a good thing that I can now understand runner's terminology such as 3x1600 at 10K pace!! Or when they talk about strider's or other crazy ways of improving time. I have read about fueling properly, hydrating, and have come to learn about my pre and post race body habits. To try and steady the idea that "my body" is going to run a long way...just because! No one is chasing me, at least not to hurt or arrest me! Nope, it's the simple mental acknowledgement...I DID IT!! But it doesn't stop there...oh, no! You become obsessed with finding another race to run in, a running group to share stories and learn from, or a partner to share the pain with. Although I have yet to actually run with any groups or another person (due to my own fear of having to keep up), I signed up to run my very first 1/2 marathon. I also signed up to run a trail series of races throughout the winter months. After that, it's only a couple of months until the Rock N River, where I hope to run my first marathon. So, the torture will continue. There will be voices of doubt, encouragement, eagerness, nervousness...and I am sure one voice that makes the "bluhhhhaaahhhh" sound, when I will be throwing up. But hey, it's a personal journey I guess. Although everyone is competing in a race...it's really a race against time...in every way imaginable!!

On a very happy, OMG, note: I totally got picked to test out some trail shoes by TrailRunning Magazine. They are called Scarpa Corsa Trail Shoes. I get to test and keep them as long as I send back the questionnaire. I NEVER WIN ANYTHING...so I kinda feel like a wi(e)nner!! I currently have a pair of Salomon's. I have loved them from the moment I hit the trail. But hey, having another pair, considering how expensive they are, is always a great thing, righto!! To bad, I won't get them before this Saturday's Trail Race of 4 miles, but there are plenty of trail runs to test them on...so, no worries!!

No comments:

Post a Comment